Primary and secondary oil recovery methods can leave as much as 75% of the oil in the ground. For many long-established wells such as those in California, Oklahoma, Texas, and Mexico where much of the easy-to-produce oil has already been extracted, tertiary or enhanced oil recovery (EOR)—although expensive in comparison to primary and secondary recovery—is the only option to reach the remaining oil.
A Tale of Two Wells
Consider an actual scenario where two adjacent wells with two teams working independently were initially baffled by the results of their EOR efforts. Both teams decided on CO2 injection wells. Team One’s result from CO2 injection was disappointing. Results were significantly below expected injection-to-production ratios. In contrast, Team Two’s results from CO2 injection far surpassed reasonable expectations.
Integrated Data Reveals Reason for Enhanced Oil Recovery Anomaly
Monitor Enhanced Oil Recovery Activities
Data Registry Facilitates Integration of Subsurface Data Sources
CoViz 4D automatically handles the various data formats and presents the data in a common viewing environment.
CoViz 4D for EOR Feasibility, Implementation, and Monitoring
- Estimate reserves using the latest reservoir simulations to determine project feasibility.
- Determine which EOR method—thermal, gas, or chemical injection—is likely to deliver the best results.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of EOR methods, based on geological conditions, previously applied to wells with similar geologic and petrophysical characteristics.
- Monitor EOR sweep and displacement efficiency.
- Compare injection inputs against production outputs to determine when EOR methods are no longer delivering expected results.
CoViz 4D, a data visualization analytics software from Dynamic Graphics, Inc., gives reservoir and production engineers the ability to easily access and combine all relevant data in support of enhanced oil recovery management. Powerful visualization capabilities enable engineers to explore data relationships that influence recovery and monitor EOR results over time to confidently make operational decisions that maximize recovery. To learn more about CoViz 4D contact our team.