Data integration is key in managing risk in any oilfield endeavor, but unconventional plays present special challenges. CoViz 4D from Dynamic Graphics provides the data integration capability to meet these challenges. Above, we can see 3D seismic integrated with the reservoir simulation model and planned wellpaths. Data courtesy Rocky Mountain Oilfield Testing Center and U.S. Department of Energy.
Managing Risk in Unconventional Reservoir Development
1. Visualize Geologic Risks to Guide Unconventional Reservoir Development
- Seismic data, interpreted in time with the faults and horizons converted to depth, allows geoscientists and engineers to identify geologic features presenting risks, as well as locate and estimate volumes of hydrocarbon targets.
- Core samples, mud and open-hole logs reveal lithology, porosity, and permeability attributes that can be combined with mapped geologic structure and stratigraphy to develop geocellular models needed to predict fluid flows and potential economic risk/reward.
2. Determine Well Trajectories That Minimize Drilling Risk
Visually evaluate the pros and cons of alternative well trajectories. Data use by permission of owner.
- Evaluate how lithology impacts drilling methods and BHA component selection of drilling assembly.
- Avoid fault or horizon intersection angles that present obvious drilling risk.
- Understand the location of previous drilling hazards and avoid them.
- Plan trajectories by selecting intermediate and target locations in the 3D reservoir model and allow well-planning software to determine curves to minimize dog leg severity.
- Show traveling cylinder diagrams to assess collision risks with nearby and even proposed wells when planning unconventional wells in the context of a mature field.
- Use lithologic and log data to determine casings, cementing, and completion methods that ensure long-term wellbore stability.
CoViz 4D: An Essential Tool for Managing Risk in Unconventional Reservoir Development
CoViz 4D software from Dynamic Graphics, Inc., gives oil and gas professionals the ability to easily access and combine all relevant data associated with unconventional reservoirs. Powerful visualization capabilities provide a detailed understanding of reservoir structures and attributes and show how data changes over time, allowing development teams to confidently make decisions that reduce operational risk and positively impact recovery. To learn more about CoViz 4D contact our team.