Integrating Data to Assess Remaining Recovery Potential
Further analysis can help determine the appropriate mature field optimization methods. Below, we highlight three of the many ways that integrating relevant subsurface data, and collaboratively evaluating it, facilitates mature field production optimization.
1. Efficiently Evaluate Opportunities for Production Optimization
- Compare wells with similar geologic characteristics but different production metrics to isolate factors affecting performance.
- Visualize geologically complex reservoirs in 3D to determine the feasibility of drilling and recovering residual hydrocarbons (attic oil).
- Diagnose downhole pressure issues, to determine why pressure doesn’t match production volumes in a specific well. Is the reason associated with problems in cement, safety valves, tubulars, or artificial lift equipment? Or due to interference with a nearby well?
- Correlate permeability with oil viscosity and recommend alternative tertiary recovery strategy.
2. Identify Bypassed Pay
3. Optimal Infill Drilling Strategy
Case Study: Mature Field Production Optimization
- Identify and capture bypassed oil with a tight-radius horizontal well.
- Determine the optimal wellpaths and drilling techniques using updated geologic models.
- Optimize the steamflood strategy by replacing vertical wells with carefully located horizontal wells.
The ability to easily integrate relevant data and collaboratively analyze it gives reservoir engineers a better understanding of current reservoir characteristics and remaining reserves.
CoViz 4D: An Essential Tool for Mature Field Production Optimization
CoViz 4D is a powerful tool that supports rapid, integrated, quantitative analysis and statistical comparison of a wide range of oil field datasets. The ability to easily integrate relevant data and collaboratively analyze it gives reservoir engineers a better understanding of current reservoir characteristics and remaining reserves. Analysis of time-series data clearly depicts changing oil field conditions and their impact on production, allowing engineers to evaluate the efficacy of various production techniques and apply this insight in determining the optimum techniques to further enhance recovery.
CoViz 4D, a data visualization and analytics software from Dynamic Graphics Inc., gives oil and gas professionals the ability to easily integrate and analyze all relevant data associated with mature oil fields. Powerful visualization capabilities enable you to explore data relationships that affect production, more accurately estimate remaining hydrocarbons, and confidently determine the best strategies for mature field production optimization. To learn more about CoViz 4D contact our team.