Integrating Data to Assess Remaining Recovery Potential
Further analysis can help determine the appropriate mature field optimization methods. Below, we highlight three of the many ways that integrating relevant subsurface data, and collaboratively evaluating it, facilitates mature field production optimization.
1. Efficiently Evaluate Opportunities for Production Optimization
Shared access to relevant data enables team members to more easily explore the interdependencies of their various datasets. Collaborative 3/4D visualization and interpretation enables teams to more readily identify and diagnose factors that can extend the reservoir’s economic life. For example:
- Compare wells with similar geologic characteristics but different production metrics to isolate factors affecting performance.
- Visualize geologically complex reservoirs in 3D to determine the feasibility of drilling and recovering residual hydrocarbons (attic oil).
- Diagnose downhole pressure issues, to determine why pressure doesn’t match production volumes in a specific well. Is the reason associated with problems in cement, safety valves, tubulars, or artificial lift equipment? Or due to interference with a nearby well?
- Correlate permeability with oil viscosity and recommend alternative tertiary recovery strategy.
2. Identify Bypassed Pay
3. Optimal Infill Drilling Strategy
Case Study: Mature Field Production Optimization
An opens in a new windowoil field established in 1932opens PDF file characterized by highly-faulted asymmetrical anticlines was producing with water cuts exceeding 96% as the reservoir was reaching its economic limit. By combining and analyzing a range of subsurface data, geologists and engineers were able to isolate inconsistent horizon data and apply corrections to create a more accurate geologic model. Combining the geologic model with computerized maps, simulations, and detailed petrophysical attributes to create highly-accurate 3D visualizations of reservoir models enabled the asset team to:
- Identify and capture bypassed oil with a tight-radius horizontal well.
- Determine the optimal wellpaths and drilling techniques using updated geologic models.
- Optimize the steamflood strategy by replacing vertical wells with carefully located horizontal wells.
The ability to easily integrate relevant data and collaboratively analyze it gives reservoir engineers a better understanding of current reservoir characteristics and remaining reserves.
CoViz 4D: An Essential Tool for Mature Field Production Optimization
CoViz 4D is a powerful tool that opens in a new windowsupports rapid, integrated, quantitative analysis and statistical comparison of a wide range of oil field datasets. The ability to easily integrate relevant data and collaboratively analyze it gives reservoir engineers a better understanding of current reservoir characteristics and remaining reserves. Analysis of time-series data clearly depicts changing oil field conditions and their impact on production, allowing engineers to evaluate the efficacy of various production techniques and apply this insight in determining the optimum techniques to further enhance recovery.
CoViz 4D, a data visualization and analytics software from Dynamic Graphics Inc., gives oil and gas professionals the ability to easily integrate and analyze all relevant data associated with mature oil fields. Powerful visualization capabilities enable you to explore data relationships that affect production, more accurately estimate remaining hydrocarbons, and confidently determine the best strategies for mature field production optimization. To learn more about CoViz 4D contact our team.