Innovations in multilateral well drilling and completion technologies continue to reduce the cost of well construction and enable secondary and tertiary recovery. With minimal increase in drilling and completion costs, multilaterals improve reservoir production by increasing the contact area of a wellbore in a formation or reaching multiple production zones from a single pad. Multilateral well design has also helped to significantly reduce the environmental impact of surface operations.
The Use of Visualization and Well Planning Software
The Value of Accurate 3D Geologic Models
- Comparison, validation, and refinement of fault and horizon interpretations
- Assessment of normal and reverse faults, major fault gaps, anticlines and synclines, fault-wedges, salt diapirs, and similar complex geologic structures
- Evaluation of geologic attributes using contour maps, isochore maps, cross-sections, base maps, and fence displays
- Display of three-dimensional property distributions within fault blocks
Design Multilateral Wells in the Context of 3D Geologic Models
- Readily identify geological factors that increase drilling risk and cost and explore multiple mitigation strategies.
- Optimize the wellbore curve from pad to target to minimize problems associated with torque and drag, hole cleaning, premature bit wear, tool limitations, and cementing.
- Recommend the appropriate casing and tubing design to accommodate the loads throughout the life of the well.
- Work with drilling engineers to design the BHA to handle the formation.
- Work with completion engineers to design the completion system for the frack stage of the production zone, selecting components appropriate for the downhole environment.
Collision Avoidance in Established Fields
Here, the ability to visualize the current subsurface environment—geology as well as existing welbore locations—gives well planners greater assurance in placing additional laterals.
Comprehensive Software Tools for Multilateral Well Design
EarthVision from Dynamic Graphics Inc., offers petroleum professionals the leading software for 3D model building, analysis, and visualization of subsurface environments and conditions. WellArchitect, also from Dynamic Graphics, Inc., offers a wide range of powerful visualization, analysis, and planning tools, promotes a more accurate understanding of hydrocarbon assets and facilitates better well planning. To learn more about EarthVision and WellArchitect contact our team.