Combine geologic data with well information to gain a better understanding of reservoir conditions. Data used with permission of owner.
An accurate understanding of reservoir conditions and activities benefits every member of the reservoir management team throughout the entire lifecycle of a reservoir. That’s an obvious statement to make, but the reality is that achieving that level of understanding to proactively monitor a reservoir requires the ability to integrate, visualize, and analyze a wide range of subsurface data types. These may include geologic, geophysical, simulation models, drilling logs, completions, wells, production, and near-real-time feeds.
Begin With a Detailed Geologic Model
Monitor reservoir production in the context of detailed geologic models to discover correlations between varying reservoir conditions and production trends. Data used with permission of owner.
Benefits of Leveraging a Reservoir Monitoring System
An Integrated View of Reservoir Performance
Sudden changes in production volume:
- broken pump identified by a drastic drop in daily volume
- reduction in injector well pressure
- collapsed casing brings production to a halt
- surface valve mistakenly closed during routine maintenance
Gradual changes in production volume:
- expansion of the fracture network from nearby well into a production zone
- sand accumulation in strainers, liners, or tubings
- paraffin buildup around completion components
- deformation from compaction in shallow wells
- sucker rod friction abrading casing
A Comprehensive Understanding of Changing Reservoir Conditions
Data used with permission of owner.
- the impact new wells, infills, or sidetracks are having on nearby well production
- the location of previously unrecognized areas of unswept oil
- the migration of gas and water as wells are produced
When a reservoir monitoring system enables reservoir teams to evaluate temporal animations of changing reservoir conditions in response to production, they gain a significantly better understanding of how development decisions impact recovery.
CoViz 4D: A Critical Component of a Reservoir Monitoring System
CoViz 4D, a data visualization analytics software from Dynamic Graphics, Inc., gives geologists, geophysicists, and reservoir engineers the ability to easily access and combine all relevant data associated with subsurface environments. Powerful analytic capabilities enable users to explore data relationships, analyze the accuracy of depth conversion of 3D seismic, and visualize seismic well ties and velocity models to facilitate decisions that positively impact profit and reduce operational risk. To learn more about CoViz 4D contact our team.