Improved interpretations of seismic surveys are achieved when additional, relevant subsurface data are integrated with seismic data to provide better context for the analysis. However, the challenge of integrating the volume and variety of available seismic, geologic, petrophysical, wellbore, and production data into a single environment for analysis is often the greatest barrier to obtaining the maximum benefit from a seismic survey interpretation.
The Benefit of Data Integration
Leveraging Technological Features, Functions, and Algorithms
CoViz 4D enables individual members of a reservoir team to easily integrate their discipline-specific datasets into the analysis via simple drag-and-drop from the source to the software. The data ingestion is further facilitated by the CoViz 4D Data Registry. Once loaded, reservoir engineers can apply a rich set of features, functions, and algorithms to help interpret seismic surveys in the context of other relevant reservoir data. These operations are completed interactively on-the-fly for maximum impact, and include:
- time-to-depth and depth-to-time dataset conversions
- time-step arithmetic operations that calculate differences among successive seismic surveys
- property averages calculations in seismic space and cellular space
- property value back-interpolations between spatially and temporally overlapping data
- visual comparisons of multiple spatially aligned datasets, such as 4D seismic vs. reservoir simulation grid
- qualitative and quantitative comparisons of synthetic volumes with the field-measured seismic and reservoir simulations
With these and dozens of other statistical and quantitative functions and visualization techniques, reservoir management teams can:
- Apply depth-to-time conversions to any in-depth datasets such as well tops or logs, fault picks in wells, drilling hazards, and cellular grids and bring that data back to their interpretation package to correlate data with reflectors seen in the seismic.
- Apply time-to-depth conversions to bring the interpretation into real-world depths to examine correlations with existing reservoir models.
- Provide a regional context for better seismic survey interpretation, comparing a specific area of a seismic survey to other areas in a field to see how faults have been interpreted in those areas.
- Analytically compare 4D seismic data and reservoir simulation, then resample the seismic as a reservoir simulation property, create an interactive scatter plot, and probe areas of interest, for example, determining where high porosity and high seismic amplitude occur together.
The ability to incorporate time-varying data enhances the value of seismic surveys.
Data Integration and Visualization Enhance Seismic Survey Interpretation
CoViz 4D, a data visualization analytics software from Dynamic Graphics, Inc., enables drilling engineers to use the insights provided by real-time drilling data analysis to visualize and monitor drill bit and wellbore location and reduce targeting risks. To learn more about CoViz 4D contact our team.