Standardization brings many benefits to the oil and gas industry. The established WITSML standard and the coming OSDU data platform both facilitate easier access, integration, processing, and sharing of data. Leading industry software tools from Schlumberger and Landmark have become de facto standards for acquiring, managing, and analyzing data. Software products like CoViz 4D from Dynamic Graphics, Inc. leverage these data and software standards to make it easier for management teams to combine, visualize, and analyze data, combating the challenges often presented by discipline-specific software packages.
Discipline-Specific Software Packages Have Inherent Limitations
The Power of Python and Jupyter Notebooks
CoViz 4D Exploits Data Standardization in the Oil and Gas Industry
CoViz 4D allows asset teams to take advantage of data and application standardization in the oil and gas industry and extract even greater value from these sources.
Leverage The Power of Python and Jupyter Notebooks
Using the Jupyter Notebook environment, petroleum professionals create scripts that incorporate DGI Python Developers Toolkit modules to access the required datasets (managed by the CoViz 4D data registry), apply specific analytic functions and formulas to the data, and produce the results of the analysis. The types of workflows and analyses that can be executed may include:
- calculate points that lie along the top of a horizon;
- using toolkit formulas and procedures to recalculate reservoir attributes based on updated production data;
- running successive simulations and visualizing the result of each simulation to depict reservoir evolution over time; and
- smoothing seismic horizons and attributes by filtering random noise from a dataset.
Once created, Jupyter Notebook scripts are linked to the “decision support” data type in the data registry for access by asset team members. The combination of Jupyter Notebooks and DGI Python Developers Toolkit modules provide a powerful means to:
- Easily share analysis and methodology across an asset team or enterprise to leverage the work of other professionals.
- Show exactly how analytic results were achieved, in the event there are any questions from management teams regarding the analysis.
- Start from a script for a previously solved, similar problem, make appropriate modifications to solve a new problem.
Synergy: CoViz 4D, Python and Jupyter Notebooks
CoViz 4D, a data visualization analytics software from Dynamic Graphics, Inc., gives oil and gas professionals the ability to leverage Python and Jupyter Notebook capabilities. Powerful data integration capabilities enable you to explore data relationships and apply the best analytic tools to better understand reservoir conditions and confidently make development decisions to maximize recovery and reduce operational risk. To learn more about CoViz 4D contact our team.