A fully integrated 4D solution requires all temporal data to be assimilated into a single system with access to both individual files and all data simultaneously, regardless of time steps. Sophisticated handling of the data enables the addition or exclusion of specific points in time, based on included data, and flexibility in how temporal data is animated through time.
Geologic structures, subsurface conditions, and reservoir production are described by a combination of diverse datasets generated or acquired throughout the reservoir lifecycle. Over time, these datasets essentially depict the reservoir evolution. Unfortunately, data diversity, proprietary formats, different timesteps, and discipline-specific software used to manage and analyze these datasets inherently limit their value. Individually, datasets tell a portion of the reservoir story. However, when combined and visualized they can reveal interrelationships of subsurface data. Both static and temporal data analysis is needed to fully understand reservoir performance.
The Value of 3D Visualization and Analysis
Data integration, visualization, and analysis allow asset teams to:
- model fluid contacts, diapirs, salt domes, and complexly faulted structures in 3D;
- create petroelastic models from rock physics parameters using Gassmann substitution;
- visualize property distributions to represent strata depositional history in faulted reservoirs;
- explore wellpath options using geologic, geophysical, and reservoir data to develop a drilling plan that minimizes cost and risk while maximizing recovery; and
- calculate overburden displacement, strain and seismic time-shifts due to reservoir thickness changes.
Challenges of Temporal Data Analysis
The Value of Temporal Data Analysis
Combining and synchronizing static and temporal data (the 4th dimension)—geology, simulation models, well integrity, annulus recordings, logs, production, and seismic surveys—and viewing it over time gives asset teams the ability to:
- compare seismic response over time with a dynamic gas saturation model and production data;
- cross-correlate opens in a new windowtime-sequenced seismic data with reservoir models to track fluid migration and identify under- or over-produced locations;
- conduct spatiotemporal comparisons between fluid injection volumes and movement in the seismic signature;
- quantify water saturation changes over time and evaluate their effect on seismic amplitude;
- simultaneously modify and compare a range of different properties or time steps from a single simulation run to arrive at a more accurate model; and
- evaluate overburden deformation and time-shifts, based on reservoir compaction data.
CoViz 4D Excels at Temporal Data Analysis
CoViz 4D facilitates an even greater understanding of reservoir behavior through temporal data analysis (4D) that shows how past development decisions have impacted reservoir performance and how proposed strategies can affect future performance.
CoViz 4D, a data visualization analytics software from Dynamic Graphics, Inc., gives oil and gas professionals the ability to easily access and combine all relevant data associated with petroleum assets. Powerful visualization capabilities enable you to explore data relationships, calculate and show inferred data, and analyze how data changes over time, allowing your team to confidently make decisions on the field that positively impact profit and reduce operational risk. To learn more about CoViz 4D contact our team.