Understanding Time-Lapse Seismic Reservoir Monitoring
Traditional 2D and 3D visualization are successful at creating images and models that represent the geophysical characteristics of the reservoir. However, these integrations leave a risk of uncertainty if they come without the ability to track the changes in the reservoir over time. A full 4D analysis (which includes 3D seismic time-lapse data), on the other hand, is able to monitor the variation in reservoir properties over a period of time. With seismic time-lapse reservoir monitoring, geophysicists and reservoir engineers can:
- Observe the change in rock elastic properties which are likely due to production activities.
- Keep track of micro-seismic events over time and analyze their effect on production.
- Monitor faults, fractures, and their effect on fluid migration and saturation over time within the reservoir.
- Perform history matching by comparing time-lapse seismic data with existing reservoir simulation models and production data to ensure accuracy of the 4D model.
- Monitor deformation in the subsurface that may result from hydrocarbon recovery or fluid injection.
- Monitor uncertainties due to potential well interference (where wells too close cause changes in production and injection).
Integration for Extensive Analysis and Visualization
CoViz 4D for Time-Lapse Seismic Reservoir Monitoring
CoViz 4D is uniquely suited to this task and can effectively facilitate integration and visualization of all data involved. CoViz 4D allows:
- Integration of large volumes of diverse data
- Animation of temporal data using time steps for the reservoir simulation grid, well status, or production data
- Visualizing one or more seismic volumes at the same time
- Sampling of 4D seismic data into the reservoir simulation grid
- Performing volume differencing between time steps in a single operation
- Advanced quantitative operations on seismic volumes and attributes
CoViz 4D, a data visualization analytics software from Dynamic Graphics, Inc., enables oil and gas professionals to easily access and combine all relevant data associated with hydrocarbon assets. Powerful 4D visualization capabilities allow you to explore data relationships and perform time-lapse seismic reservoir monitoring, allowing multi-disciplined asset teams to confidently make operational decisions that positively impact profit and reduce operational risk. To learn more about CoViz 4D contact our team.