- At what angles are the wellpath/fault intersections?
- How long is a wellpath within a stratigraphic zone?
- How will varying geophysical parameters along the planned wellbore affect drilling costs?
- Where is the best sidetrack kick-off point to avoid issues such as salt, salt exit, or rubble zones where desired build rates could not be achieved?
- Which sidetrack plan has the best chance of maximizing recovery?
- How exposed is a planned well path to a problem horizon?
- Are there any geological characteristics that prevent the wellpath from staying within the sweet spot?
Visualization Facilitates Geologic Understanding
- Construct wellpaths by specifying a series of design points and automatically interpolating between points using a minimum curvature method within the context of the geologic information
- Define targets as a point, circle, ellipse, square, rectangle, or polygon and specify the dipping plane, thickness, and projection to mimic the geologic models
- Slice 3D models along a wellpath, providing a cross-sectional view of the stratigraphic or property model along the planned trajectory
- Visually remove portions of a model to enhance spatial understanding of geology.
- Create a “traveling cylinder” view that indicates the proximity of offset wellpaths near or intersecting a proposed wellpath.
- Back-interpolate a wellpath with a cellular grid, sampling the cell grid along the wellpath to provide detailed property attributes and averages intersected by the wellpath.
- Include annotations (to indicate additional information, such as core, plug, casing, casing shoe, slotted liner, perforation, side-wall core, open hole test, open hole completion, etc.) at selected points along the wellpath to guide drilling operations.
The ability to visualize and evaluate options in context of geologic formations that influence well placement facilitates faster, better-informed planning and operational decisions.
Integrated Well Designer for Well Placement Optimization
CoViz 4D and Integrated Well Designer, from Dynamic Graphics, Inc., enable well planning teams to efficiently analyze geologic formations and interactively design and evaluate various wellpath options with the goal of optimizing well placement. To learn more about CoViz 4D and Integrated Well Designer contact our team.